How to visit Qingyang Taoist Temple

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather

Qingyang Taoist Temple is located on the West Section 2 of First Ring Road, Chengdu , by the beautiful Jinjiang River. “Qingyang” literally means”green ram”. So the Qingyang Temple got its popular name from the two blue-green goats made of bronze in the Sanqing main Hall.

The Qingyang Gong Daoist Temple has been famous as “No 01 Taoist Temple in Sichuan” and “No.01 Temple in West China”. Now It is a famous tourism and sightseeing attraction of Taoist cultural heritage.

First built in Zhou Dynasty (1046 BC-249BC), Qingyang Taoist Temple was originally called Qingyang Fair. In the first year of Zhonghe Period (881) of Xizhong Reign of Tang Dynasty (618-907), the emperor retreated to the place of Qingyang Temple to avoid the chaos. After the upheaval was calmed down, the emperor allocated a sum of money to expand the temple and issued an imperial edict to change the name of the place into Qingyang Palace. This temple was flourishing in Tang Dynasty.

In Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644), the temple buildings built in Tang Dynasty were unfortunately damaged in natural disaster and wars. Today’s Qingyang Temple is the result of successive reconstructions during the six to tenth year of Kangxi of Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1911).

How to get there
Bus lines: 5,17,22,25,27,42, 46, 58, 82,301
Admission Fee: RMB 10
Suggested visiting time: one hour
The temple is to the east of Du Fu Cottage and to the north of Wuhou Temple.

Gate to Qingyang Taoist Temple

The entrance to Qingyang Taoist Temple

 

Hunyuan Hall, the second important hall in the temple after the main Sanqing Hall. Hunyuan Hall was rebuilt during reign of Emperior Kangxi in Qing Dynasty.

It is about 22 meters high and suppported by 28 columns and covers an area of 600 square mteters. Enshrined in the hall are Taishang Laojun and Goddess of Great Compassion.

Hunyuan Hall

 
Sanqing Hall is the main building in the temple where stand two eye-catching bronze goats, which were said to be taken from Beijing during the Qing Dynasty.

Sanqing Hall

 
 
Two Copper Green Rams

Two Copper Green Rams

The Octagonal Pavilion where the statue of Laozi on a bronze cow is enshrined is the well preserved. Constructed on square bases, with a colored glazed dome on top, this octagonal building showcases the ancient Chinese thinking that “the sky is round and the earth is square”.

Octagonal Pavilion

 
Doulao Hall where Doulao, a great Goddess in Taoist is enshrined.

Doulao Hall

The Jade Emperor Hall. According to the doctrine of Taoism, the Jade Emperor is the most senior God of the world.
 

The Jade Emperor Hall

 Any question, just drop a line.

Tags: , ,

Questions and Answers: