Plan your China tour? Are you thinking of the tipping policy in China? To tip or not to tip in China is a question which has confused many foreign visitors.
Those against tipping in China argue that China has no tradition of tipping; those for tipping in China think that China is changing and tipping has become more and more popular as a kind of etiquette as well as bonuses for service providers like that in the west.
There are plentiful reasons to disagree or agree with the tipping in China. So it is advisable to avoid meaningless argument over the tipping policy in China. Let’s focus on the present tipping practices existing in China (seeking truth from facts), then regulate our way to deal with the tipping issue properly in China.
Do I have to tip in China?
You don’t have to tip in China even though in some cases you are expected to give a tip.
You have your own choice of giving or not giving since tipping is a personal matter.
The tipping practices existing in China
No matter you agree or disagree with the present tipping practices common in China, they do exist in China, especially in the following sectors:
- Tipping waiters and maids in high-level western restaurants
- Tipping bellboys who take your luggage to the room at your luxury hotel
- Tipping tour guides and drivers on an organized private or group tour
- Tipping the staff on the Yangtze River Cruise
Non-tipping sectors in China
Though tipping has become more and more popular in China, there are still many places where you don’t need to give a tip.
1. Taxi 2. Street side restaurants 3. Normal Chinese restaurants 4. Restaurant chains like Pizza Hut, McDonald’s… 5. Pubs and bars 6. Massage studios
How much should I tip?
Though traditionally there is no tipping (except Hong Kong and Macau). However, hotels may allow tipping. Tour guides and drivers expect tipping.
Then how much for the common tipping practices in Beijing China? Below is just for your reference:
1. For the tour guide and the driver: RMB 20 -80 a day per person
2. For the bellboys or waiters at high end hotels and western restaurants: RMB 5-30 per person
Top 10 Travel Experiences in China
10 Most Scenic Drives in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful Mountains in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful Lakes in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful Grasslands in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful Rivers in China
Top 10 most beautiful waterfalls in China
Top 10 Places to See Autumn Leaves in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful Villages in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful old towns in China
Top 10 Most Beautiful Museums in China
Top 10 China Tourist Scams
Top 10 Souvenirs in China